How to update your 17th Avenue theme
We occasionally release updates for our Premium WordPress themes. In this article we'll go over how you can obtain the updated version of your theme, and how to install the update on your website.
Are updates required? Is my site vulnerable if I don't update?
NO, you are not required to update. Your site should run perfectly fine when using an "older" version of your theme.
All of our WordPress themes are child themes of the Genesis Framework (the "parent theme"). Since Genesis releases frequent updates to keep your site secure and bug-free, child themes are not typically updated on a regular basis. Any updates that are made are purely cosmetic or adding in new features, so there is no harm in keeping the older version of your child theme.
That being said, our recent updates have added lots of fun new features and enhancements, and we want you to take advantage of them!
How can I receive the update for my theme?
That will depend on where and when you purchased your theme.
- If you purchased on our website after July 10th 2017, you can download the updated version of your theme from your Account page.
- If you purchased on our website before July 10th 2017, click here.
- If you purchased on Etsy, click here.
- If you purchased on Creative Market, click here.
How do I update my theme once I have the updated file?
Before you begin: we STRONGLY recommend creating a full backup of your website prior to updating your theme.
- Go to WordPress > Appearance > Themes.
- At the top, click on Add New, and then click Upload Theme.
- Click Choose File and select your updated theme file (i.e. amelia-theme.zip).
- Click Install Now.
- Once the theme is installed, click Activate.
- After activating the updated theme, you can go back to Appearance > Themes and delete the previous version of your theme.
If you've customized your theme...
If you've customized your theme in the WordPress Customizer (i.e. color changes) and don't want to lose your customizations, follow these steps INSTEAD of the steps above.
Important note: If you have edited the style.css file or other files in your theme, those code changes will be lost when updating your theme. You will need to manually transfer any code changes you have made. For this reason, we recommend placing custom code inside the Additional CSS area of the WordPress Customizer.
- Install and activate the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin.
- Install and activate the Customizer Export/Import plugin.
- Go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter and export your widgets.
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Export/Import and export your customizer settings.
- Upload the updated child theme file and activate.
- At this step, view your live website and see if your widgets are still there. On most sites, the widgets will automatically populate the updated theme. Be sure to ONLY import your widgets if they are gone after updating. If you need to import your widgets, go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter and import the .wie file from step 3.
- To import your Customizer settings, go to Appearance > Customize > Export/Import. Select the .dat file from step 4 and click import.