How to restore featured images after switching themes
There are some WordPress themes that automatically pull the first image from a blog post and use it as the featured image for that post. If you're switching themes from a theme that does this, your featured images are going to disappear when you install a 17th Avenue theme (or most other WordPress themes). Luckily, there is a workaround!
Before following this tutorial, make sure your 17th Avenue theme is installed, and all the recommended plugins for the theme are activated.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to the Plugins tab.
- Search Auto Post Thumbnail and install and activate the plugin.
- Go to Settings > Auto Post Thumbnail. Click "Generate Thumbnails." If you have a lot of posts on your site, this may take a while to complete. Don't close the page until it says 100%.
- Once the process finishes, remove the Auto Post Thumbnail plugin from your site.
- Now that all of your featured images are set, the last step is to resize the featured images so they fit in the theme. Here are the easy instructions!