Genesis Simple Share Icons Broken
An update for Genesis Simple Share was released on April 16th, 2019. And unfortunately, the update broke the sharing icons in four of our WordPress Themes:
All four affected themes have since been updated.
What is causing the error?
The themes listed above were using a line of code that placed the sharing icons in a custom location within the theme. The Genesis Simple Share update removed the ability to place the icons in a custom location.
How to fix the error
There are three ways to fix the error:
- Update your 17th Avenue theme to the latest version.
- Remove the share icons from the current version of your theme manually.
- Rollback the Genesis Simple Share plugin to a previous version (the easiest option).
How to update your theme
Please note: Updating your theme will remove any modifications you've made to the theme files. If you've made customizations to your theme, we recommend using one of the other options to fix the icons.
Updated versions for the four affected themes – Amelia, Peony, Pippa, and Uptown – are now available.
1. Download your theme:
- If you purchased on our website — log into Your Account and click on the Downloads tab. Click the pink button under Download to download the theme.
- If you purchased on Etsy — Etsy doesn't allow updates to theme files. Womp, womp. Please submit an update request and we'll send you a link to the updated theme file ASAP!
2. Once your theme file is downloaded, unzip it. The child theme file is inside, and it looks like amelia-theme.v.2.2.zip or similar (depending on which theme you have).
3. Go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Themes. At the top of the page, click “Add New,” and then click “Upload Theme” on the next page.
- Amelia - Share Icons Instructions
- Peony - Share Icons Instructions
- Pippa - Share Icons Instructions
- Uptown - Share Icons Instructions
How to remove share icons
This is the best option if:
- You don't want to update your theme and lose any customizations you've made.
- You don't want to rollback the Genesis Simple Share plugin to a previous version.
1. Go to WordPress > Appearance > Theme Editor > Theme Functions (Functions.php).
2. Click your cursor anywhere inside the code box.
Please note: You MUST click inside the code box before searching. If not, you won't be able to locate the code shown below.
3. Click Ctrl+F (or Command+F on Mac) to search. In the search box, type " share"
4. You'll be brought down to this section:
5. Highlight all of the code shown above and delete it.
6. Click Update File.
7. Go to Plugins > All Plugins and delete the Genesis Simple Share plugin.
How to Rollback the Plugin to a Previous Version
Installing the previous version of Genesis Simple Share is another way to fix the broken sharing icons. Here's how:
1. Go to WordPress > Plugins > Add New and search WP Rollback.
2. Click Install Now and then Activate.
3. Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
4. Find Genesis Simple Share in your list of plugins and click Rollback.
5. On the next page, select Version 1.1.0 and then click the blue Rollback button.
You can remove the WP Rollback plugin from your site when finished.