Mia - Social Media Icons
In the Mia theme, the social media icons can be displayed in the following locations:
- Top navigation menu (next to the search icon)
- Offscreen menu
- 3-column footer
- And inside any other available widget area – sidebar, etc.
Linking your Icons
- In your theme download file, go to the Custom Codes folder and open the “social-icons” file. This is an editable document where you’ll be connecting each social icon to your social profiles.
- Inside the file, you will see several spaces that say YOUR FACEBOOK LINK or YOUR TWITTER LINK. Paste the URLs of your social profiles to replace these text markers.
- Be sure that you keep everything around your link the exact same, including the quotation marks. Sample code: <a href=”https://instagram.com/17thavedesigns”>
- After you have added all of your links, highlight the code in social icons document and copy it.
- From here, follow the instructions below to place your icons in the theme.
A “social profile link” is the direct URL for your profile on Facebook, Twitter, etc. The easiest way to obtain your social profile link is to visit your public profile in your browser and copy the URL from the address bar.
You must use a complete URL when setting up your icons, meaning your URL must include https:// and look something like this: https://www.instagram.com/17thavedesigns. If you only use "instagram.com/17thavedesigns," you will get a page error when you click on the icon.
Navigation Menu Icons
Before you can add the navigation social icons, you will need to turn on your Primary Navigation Menu. Click here for instructions.
Go to Appearance > Widgets. Drag a Custom HTML widget into the Nav Social Icons widget area. Paste your social icons code in the text box from Step 4 above. Save.
Using icons elsewhere in your theme
You can add the social icons code almost anywhere in your theme.
- In the sidebar: Add a Custom HTML widget into the Primary Sidebar widget area and add your social icons code.
- In the footer: Add a Custom HTML to Footer 1, Footer 2, or Footer 3 and add your social icons code.
- In the offscreen menu: Add a Custom HTML to the Offscreen Menu widget area.
- On a page: Switch your page editor to text mode and add your social icons code.
- In a blog post: Switch your post editor to text mode and add your social icons code.
Icons not displaying correctly?
If your icons are not displaying or linking correctly, please see this article for troubleshooting tips.