Set up Genesis eNews with Mailchimp
The subscription areas in our WordPress themes use a plugin called Genesis eNews Extended.
Genesis eNews can be set up with most email marketing services (Mailchimp, ConvertKit, Mailerlite, and many others). Mailchimp is one of the most popular — it's free for up to 2,000 subscribers, simple to configure, and offers lots of great features. In this tutorial, we'll walk you through how to set up Genesis eNews with Mailchimp.
How to set up Genesis eNews with Mailchimp
1. If you haven't already installed Genesis eNews Extended, go to your WordPress dashboard > Plugins > Add New. Search the plugin, install, and activate it.
2. Log into your Mailchimp dashboard. If you haven't created an Audience yet, do that now following these instructions.
3. In your Mailchimp dashboard, go to the Audience tab at the top of the page.
4. Click on Manage Audience, and then select Signup Forms.
5. Select Embedded Forms.
6. Choose Unstyled. Locate the code box at the bottom of the page (under "Copy/Paste Onto Your Site"). Select all of the code in the box and copy it.
You'll only need to grab a small portion of this code, but the Mailchimp code box doesn't allow you to select a part of it. Copy the entire code and paste it into a text editor on your computer, or into Custom HTML widget on your website (delete it after).
7. Once you've pasted the code somewhere, you're going to copy the link that follows action=" Be sure to NOT copy the quotation marks, only the link in between.
Please note that your Form Action URL will look different than the example shown above. Your own username and ID numbers will be displayed.
8. Go to your WordPress dashboard > Appearance > Widgets. Drag the Genesis eNews Extended widget into the widget area of your choice, or that's required by your theme.
9. Locate the Form Action field and paste the Form Action URL you copied in Step 5.
10. In the email field, type EMAIL. In the first name field, type FNAME. If you would like to collect last names, type LNAME in the last name field. These three fields must be uppercase.
11. Configure the input placeholders and subscription button text how you’d like. Our demos are usually set at:
12. Save the widget, and then you’re all set!
How to send emails through Mailchimp
With Mailchimp, you have the ability to send different types of emails depending on your needs.
- If you're a business, you may want to send periodic newsletters to your subscribers detailing a promotional offer, an upcoming event, etc.
- If you're a blogger, you may want to set up an RSS Feed campaign so your subscribers automatically receive your blog posts in their email each time you publish a post.
Mailchimp has a great help center on their site with all the information you need to get started creating beautiful emails to send your subscribers. If you have any questions about how to use Mailchimp or set up email campaigns, you can contact Mailchimp here.
Using other email services with Genesis eNews
It's possible to use other email marketing services with the Genesis eNews Extended plugin. Here are links to some tutorials: