How to check & update PHP
PHP is the coding language that WordPress is built on. WordPress recommends PHP 7.4 for a safe, secure, and fast WordPress website.
How to check what PHP version your site is using
- In your WordPress Dashboard, go to Tools > Site Health.
- Toward the top of the page, click Info.
- You should see a list of several options. Select Server.
- The version of PHP your site is using will be listed next to "PHP Version."
- If you're running anything below 7.4, proceed to the next section:
Before updating your PHP version
Click here for important steps to take before updating your PHP version.
How to update your PHP version
Updating your PHP version will always be done via your hosting provider. Therefore, instructions will vary depending on what host you have. Click here to access a list of PHP update instructions for the most common hosts.
If you have any trouble updating the PHP, contact your hosting provider directly.
A note about PHP 8
Although it is available, PHP 8 is not currently recommended for use with WordPress. PHP 8 was a major update with breaking changes, and many plugins are not yet compatible. If your site is using PHP 8, we recommend downgrading to PHP 7.4 to avoid compatibility issues.