How to switch between Draft and Publish mode in the WordPress Customizer
When working inside the WordPress Customizer, it's best to Publish your changes rather than saving as a Draft. Saving your Customizer changes as a Draft can cause confusion, since your site will look different in the Customizer versus on your live website. Publishing your changes will save your Customizer changes both in the Customizer AND on your live website.
How to toggle between Draft and Publish modes
1. In your WordPress dashboard, go to Appearance > Customize.
2. Look to the top left corner of your Customizer. If your Customizer is in Draft mode, you'll see a grayed out button called "Draft Saved." If your Customizer is in Publish mode, you'll see a grayed out button called "Published."
3. To toggle between Draft and Publish modes, first change any setting inside the Customizer. The grayed out button will become blue, and a Settings icon will appear next to it.
4. Click the Settings icon to access the Customizer Settings panel. Select "Publish" to switch to Publish mode.
5. Click the blue Publish button to save your changes.