Kadence - Change theme fonts
To edit the fonts in your Kadence theme, navigate to Appearance > Customize > Colors & Fonts > Typography.
In the Typography settings, you have access to a library of over 1,000 Google Fonts. You'll be able to select the font family, as well as font size, letter spacing, and line height. These settings can also be adjusted for different devices (desktop, tablet, and mobile).
Best Practices for Fonts
As you're selecting your own fonts, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- When changing your fonts, it's a good idea to go in with a plan. Pick out your fonts at https://fonts.google.com before changing any fonts on your website.
- Select 2 to 3 fonts, which can be repeated throughout various areas of your site. Using a large number of fonts can not only appear unprofessional, but loading in multiple fonts will also slow down your website.
- Body text fonts should be legible and easy to read at small sizes. No display fonts for body text!
- Pair serif fonts with sans-serif fonts. Avoid pairing similar font types (i.e. two serif fonts).
- Need some font pairing ideas? Check out this link.
Getting to know the font editor
Base Font – This is the font for the body text on your site.
Heading Font – This is the font for headings, page titles, and post titles across your site.
H1-H6 – These are heading levels. Usually, all of the heading levels are the same font. In the example above, the H4 is set to a different font.
Site title font
The base font and heading fonts are not the only fonts in your theme!
To change the site title font, go to Appearance > Customize > Header > Logo > Design. Under Site Title Font, select your preferred font.
To change the font in your Primary Navigation Menu, go to Appearance > Customize > Header > Primary Navigation > Design. Under Navigation Font, select your preferred font.
To change the font in your Secondary Navigation Menu, go to Appearance > Customize > Header > Secondary Navigation > Design. Under Navigation Font, select your preferred font.
To change the font for your Buttons, go to Appearance > Customize > Colors & Fonts > Buttons. Under Font, select your preferred font.
Selecting font sizes for different devices
Click here for instructions.
Kadence (free) does not support custom fonts, but this is a feature offered via Kadence Pro. Learn more here.