Instagram Feed Update 2022
On February 10th, 2022, there was a major update for the Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed plugin. This update completely changed the format of the plugin and how your feed is connected and configured.
We initially encountered issues with this update and did not recommend updating. On February 23rd, Smash Balloon released version 6.0.4, which addressed many of our issues. We now recommend updating!
What will happen when I update?
We've done a lot of testing with this update, and here's what we know:
- For most users, your Instagram feed settings will stay intact after the update. It's very possible you won't need to make any changes at all after updating and your feed will display the same.
- For some users, your Instagram account will need to be reconnected to the plugin.
- For some users, you may need to create and customize an entirely new feed.
The best way to update
If your theme is Clover or Harper, skip to the next section.
- We recommend the "see what happens" method. Go to Plugins > All Plugins > Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed plugin.
- Click Update.
- Clear your cache, then view your site. Is your feed still there and looking correct? Great! There's nothing more you need to do.
If your feed is missing altogether (no images)
Click here, find your theme name, and find the Instagram Feed tutorial for your theme. Follow all 3 sections.
If your feed/images are visible but not configured correctly
Click here, find your theme name, and find the Instagram Feed tutorial for your theme. Follow sections 2 and 3 only.
Clover and Harper Themes
If you're using Clover or Harper, your feed(s) will need to be set up from scratch again after updating. We're sorry! We know that the new interface for the Smash Balloon plugin is a little hard to navigate (it was not designed by us 😉), but our instructions will walk you through every step. We got you. Here are each of the tutorials: